Friday, May 26, 2006

Heron....almost
















Sometimes I think I should call this blog: "Things I *almost* got a picture of"!

You can sort of see the blurry great blue heron as it flys off. This was right behind my garden, in my backyard.

I was getting ready for work when I heard Betsy give an excited little bark that sounded different from her normal "Let me in" bark. I went to look and there was the heron, fishing in the creek. I snuck around to the back porch with the camera and just caught it taking off.

Sorry this is such a totally crappy picture. It was taken through the porch window at a distance of about 100 yards, and the bird was in motion.

I've seen them in the creek many times, but I've never been quick enough to get a picture.

Sadly, this in no way captures the feeling of seeing this huge bird in your own backyard. I wish I could have shown its shrew efficient zen stillness as it poised looking for frogs and minnows. I wish I could have shown it's narrow tallness, it was as tall as Danny. I wish I could have captured it's nervous awareness that it was being watched, looking around, not seeing me but feeling me watching it. I wish I could show you it's grand prehistoric wingspan as it flew up. But this blurry image is all I have to show.

BTW: If you should ever want to help an injured heron, or one trapped in the ice or in a net: be aware that their first instinct is to aim that dagger sharp beak right for your human eyeball, and pluck it right out of your head. Posted by Picasa

8 Comments:

Blogger Ticharu said...

How do you know they go after the eyeball???
Hey, that was funny! I forgot that you work in a library!

2:16 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

:-) Hi Tich! I learned that little bit of gory info from my professor, NYS Wildlife Pathologist Ward Stone.

I guess it makes sense. If you want to help them, you have to grab them around the neck quickly and hold their head still so they can't pluck out your eyeball! Freaky!

7:44 PM  
Blogger Peevish said...

Wow! I am extremely envious of your heron-attracting backyard!

6:14 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Hey Peevish! Welcome to my humble blog. I see you are a knitter! I love knitting too. :-) How totally cool that someone from the other side of the globe can peek into my life and I can peek into hers. Yay!!! :-)

7:28 PM  
Blogger Ticharu said...

I suppose in the 'real' world of a Heron we'd be gonna eat it!

I lash out when giant monkeys come to eat me as well!

I finally got a rain day! So I can catch up on the blogs and maybe make some music!

The garden was getting awfully dry.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Linda Jones Malonson said...

Kate I have missed your blog. The pictures are amazing. Heron are so beautiful in flight ---

It is so good to be back, I thought I would never get well, but here I am alive to say the least. It was so good to see your familiar post this morning, thank you.

Much love to ya!
Amias

10:09 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

I missed you too Amais! :-) Glad you're feeling better.

1:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home