Thursday, May 25, 2006

Corn

Maize Festival by Diego Rivera
I had a dream last night that I was having a long conversation with President Bush about GM corn.

Now, believe me, if I had a chance to have a real life convo with Bush, I'd be giving him a piece of my mind on *many* subjects, and corn would probably not be one of them! However, the person we are in dreams is different than the person we are in waking life, it seems. Shadowy, vague, unsubstantial, yet powerful in ways that we are not, and having motivations that are different from the motivations of the person awake.

So I talked to him about GM corn. Corn is the grain of this North American continent. The original wild strains of maize are thought to have come from Mexico. People there call it "Teosinte" and "Mother of Maize". I told him that this plant was very important, spiritually, to this continent, and that genetically modified transgenes that contaminated it could have a very negative, even disastrous effect on our country.

He actually listened and took this seriously, which surprised me. Perhaps he is different in the dream world too.

4 Comments:

Blogger EarthCitizen #23 said...

Hey Kate!! Glad to hear from you again. This post is great, Maize Mother! GM corn is a possible disaster waiting in the wings, hopefully we will not have to live through.
I have missed you and your wonderful thoughts,,, and 'almost' pictures!! A Heron ,,,,, too cool.
We will have to have a long talk soon.
Love you much,,
Scott

4:58 AM  
Blogger Rusty said...

I love herons! I have no idea what GM corn is, though...

5:51 PM  
Blogger katiedid said...

Ugh. GM corn - my husband and I have had so many conversations about our disgust at what is happening. I hope the powers that be start to actually care about the issue before it is much too late. Alas, I fear it in fact may already be too late though, and I am not usually that prone to pessimism. (Cynicism, sure, but not pessimism.)

9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
»

4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home