Monday, January 30, 2006

X Country skiing pic 9

Posted by Picasa













The Snow Man
by Wallace Stevens

One must have a mind of winter
To regard the frost and the boughs
Of the pine-trees crusted with snow;
And have been cold a long time
To behold the junipers shagged with ice,
The spruces rough in the distant glitter
Of the January sun; and not to think
Of any misery in the sound of the wind,
In the sound of a few leaves,
Which is the sound of the land
Full of the same wind
That is blowing in the same bare place
For the listener, who listens in the snow,
And, nothing himself, beholds
Nothing that is not there and the nothing that is.

11 Comments:

Blogger Ticharu said...

Cool poem. It's a little like a poem I wrote called 'on the wind' except 'the snow man' is better! Mine's a bit more doomer, hahaha!

5:00 AM  
Blogger Nerdine said...

Oooh - I love your skiing pictures! you didn't get as much snow as we have here, but it's enough to get that winter feel...

Am SO envious of that grain mill too, btw... Luckily I live right next door to a bakery that grind their own organically grown wheat. Their bread is SOOO good! I bet yours tastes wonderful too. Looks like really good bread.
shoot - I got hungry now... ;)

5:08 AM  
Blogger celestialmtn said...

I love the skiing pictures!

It's been unseasonably warm down here and haven't really gotten any snow in the city. But... winter is not over yet!!!

9:46 AM  
Blogger Meadow said...

I agree. These are very beautiful!

8:42 AM  
Blogger PFG said...

Kate,
Gorgeous pictures, as always. And the Wallace Stevens is a good selection. Thank you. I feel like I've had my moment of zen.

7:36 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

lovely pictures :)

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love these photos. And you, NatureGirl. I love you, too.

8:56 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

To me, it is beautiful...Gorgeous pictures, and I am jealous in this so. Ca. snowless place.

12:26 PM  
Blogger celestialmtn said...

I spoke to soon in my last comment. New York was just dumped with over 2 feet of snow!!! I am loving it!!!

8:51 AM  
Blogger PFG said...

Hey Kate,
Long time no posts...I hope you've been spending time enjoying winter wonderlands, making bread, and maybe knitting more huge socks.
Best,
L.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Normally I just delete spam, but since this is funny, I'm leaving it up. :-)

7:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home