Monday, December 05, 2005

Weekend Update (no Tina Fey, sorry!)

On Friday Danny was a play at school that he and his friends made up. It was called "Utica on a School Night". It's about a group of kids who go to Utica (on a school night, natch) to see a rock concert, by a band called "The Centipedes". The band is late, and when they do arrive, they suck. The audience heckles them. The band apologizes and says they will play at their house for free. The audience is placated. The end. Danny played a "Rockin' out Grandpa". He went up to the band and said: "You Suck!" in an old-guy voice. It was pretty silly.

Saturday we just hung around in our pajamas all day and relaxed by the woodstove. I hennaed my hair. I should have been hunting but I didn't feel like it. At night we watched a documentary called "Hell House", about the Christian Right making these "Haunted Houses" to show what happens to sinners in hell. It was wacky.

Yesterday we were going to go with some of our friends to cut down a Christmas tree, but Ginny's father (who lived with them and who they were taking care of, he was very old) passed away in Sat. morning. The poor things. They really loved him.

It's so weird because Joanna's dad died last year right around Christmas too. What's with people dropping dead around the holidays? This is corny, but I had the radio on Sunday morning, listening to Christmas carols at breakfast, and James Taylor was singing "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas", and he changed the lyrics a bit, to "Throught the years, we all will be together, if the fates allow, if not we'll have to muddle through somehow..." and I thought how sad that was, then I called Ginny and heard her sad news... Ah well.

We put up the artificial tree we had in the garage and decorated the house. I put eggnog in my coffee. It was delicious. I tasted the fruitcake, alas: it was soggy. Too much booze perhaps? :-(

I went to the pet store and bought Danny a beta fish and a little tank to put it in. He named it Charles.

I also went to the supermarket and bought roasted chickens and mashed potatoes and other stuff to bring to Ginny's house, since no one wants to cook when they are grieving. And all those neighbors stop by and you have to feed them something.

This morning I discovered that my wallet is missing.

I went back to the supermarket this morning and they had the transaction on video, and it shows I put my wallet back into my pocket as I left. So it either 1) fell out of my pocket in the parking lot or in my car (I've searched my car 500 times) 2) was pickpocketed on my way out of the store or in the parking lot (I don't remember anyone following me, but I guess it could happen) 3) fell out of my pocket somewhere at Ginny's house (she can't find it) or 4) it's somewhere at home, although this seems unlikely since I normally keep it in my jacket pocket and had no reason to take it out (plus I've searched everywhere). I went to the bank this morning and cancelled my debit card. Bummer, but it could be worse I suppose!

How was your weekend?

UPDATE: I found my wallet! It was in my friend's driveway, all frozen, like a wallet-cicle. Everything was in it. What a relief!

10 Comments:

Blogger Bubbles said...

I am totally digging the story of Danny's play. If I ever start up a punk band, I'm going to call it "Utica on a School Night"!!

Sorry about your wallet. :-( If we find out someone stole it, I will personally beat the crap out of them if you want me to!

9:47 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

You will? Thank you, Jean. You are a true pal. I hope you don't move to Binghamton! I will cry.

9:51 AM  
Blogger Bubbles said...

It will be a very, very difficult decision as to whether I even apply for this job. I think that's why I'm dragging my feet. I am secretly hoping someone else gets it. Then I can just say "oh, too bad, it's filled."

9:53 AM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

I added Hell House to my Netflix queue; thank you! I'm always up for a look at the scary Christian right. Maybe I should have it sent around Halloween.

4:12 AM  
Blogger Bubbles said...

Kate found her wallet everybody!! Yay!!!!!!!!!

4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I hennaed my hair."

Did you really think you could just sneak that in there? I'll be needing details and photographic evidence for the inquiry.

Signed,
Dorito Hair Police

p.s. The wallet thing happened to me once. The Jehovah's Witnesses found it in the street and gave it back to me with everything intact, including $200 in cash. That must be a lifetime of lost wallet luck, so I haven't carried cash since!

4:41 PM  
Blogger EarthCitizen #23 said...

Glad you found your wallet,, that is a bummer when that happens...
The Hell house thingy is wild,, we like to go to them and laugh our asses off through the whole thing, it really makes them mad..
Our family only dies around the holidays, so I have been crossing fingers because this year has sucked bad enough all ready,, no more bad things.... please..
I always think I want to go out on the Fourth of July, with sky rockets and fireworks...!!!
The cycles of life,, we must enjoy and make the best of them all, even the bad times,, and it all supposedly will work out in the end?
For my weekend news, see my latest blog,, to wild.

11:42 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Love this story about Danny's play. Do you live in Utica? I know that city, and it is beautiful.

Just picturing Kate with her rifle, beaver hat, and SL Rahat Loukham ready for the kill!!

7:39 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Keeter, you are funny. I've missed you!!! I will post about henna and my hair sometime. Need to get Dave to take a picture of it when it's looking all pretty and clean. :-)

Scott: Thanks! Your story is wild. When are you going back there? I feel like maybe there is more to come...

Barbara: Ha! No scent when I hunt, must be scent free. I don't live in Utica. I don't know why Danny and his friends picked Utica! LOL. We live east of Albany.

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad you found your wallet!! Danny is a total genius, and that title is hilarious.

xoox
g

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home