Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Children's Picture Books I Have Loved...

Dear Cjblue asked me for children's book recommendations. Being a librarian, how can I refuse? :-)

Besides, it's getting near Christmas, and you may know some little people who you'd like to read some books with.

Danny is almost too old for picture books now, (which is sad, because I love them so much). But there are still some we read again and again.

These are ones that come to mind for me as really beautiful picture books for kids who are about 5-8 years old.

The Gullywasher (Chaparron Torrencial) by Joyce Rossi
Pink and Say by Patricia Polacco
Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch by Eileen Spinelli
Old Turtle by Douglas Wood
Old Coyote by Nancy Wood
The Tenth Good Thing About Barney by Judith Viorst
Thinking About Ants by Barbara Brenner
The Lady and the Spider by Faith McNulty
The Paperboy by Dav Pilkey
The Nightingale by Hans Christian, illustrated by Bagram Ibatoulline

Also, anything by Joseph Bruchac or Paul Goble.

And of course, we loved various illustrated versions of Alice in Wonderland, Robin Hood, King Arthur, The Wizard of Oz and all the Greek, Roman and Norse mythology. The Bible too.

For littler kids, you must get:

All About Alfie by Shirley Hughes (any of her Alfie and Annie Rose books are awesome, actually)
Only the Cat Saw by Ashley Wolff

and of course: Voyage to the Bunny Planet [BOX SET] by Rosemary Wells

Danny and I are reading a lot more chapter books these days, there are many good ones I could mention, but I'll save that for another post. :-)

What are some of your favorite children's books?

6 Comments:

Blogger Jenny G said...

These aren't little children's books, but I loved the Little House on the Prairie series, the Ramona books, and the Mrs. Pigglewiggle series.

10:50 AM  
Blogger cjblue said...

I'm so honored, thanks for posting these! Dvorah is 7 (reading way beyond her age level) and always has her nose in a book, so she reads mostly chapter books too these days. *Love* Paul Goble books, and Dvorah is tearing through the Magic Tree House series, the A to Z mysteries, Junie B. Jones and Judy Moody...she's a massive reader, that one.

We went through all 8 books in "The Unicorn's Secret" series by Kathleen Duey last year and even my husband wouldn't let me read the next installment until he was with us too.

Thank you for these recommendations! I have several saved on my WL now, for future reference.

And any time you find a really wonderful chapter book or series...feel free to let me know. I'm always up for recommendations. Thanks!
XOXO

2:03 PM  
Blogger katiedid said...

Heidi. I still reread it even though I am all grown up (mostly, heh.) And I STILL tear up every stinking time it gets to the part where everyone discovers Heidi has been saving her white dinner rolls for her grandfather in her trunk, only to find they are ruined and moldy. I'm getting all choked up just now thinking about it.

I loved the Mrs. Pigglewiggle series, too. And the Bobsey Twins, but I have a hunch those might read as pretty dated now. God, this is HARD trying to remember what I read when I was around 7. There was this one book called Midnight (?) about a horse that I repeatedly checked out over and over from the library. OH I KNOW! Pippi Longstocking!! Who does not love Pippi?? I tried reading the first one to my boys, and they howled at the horse in the kitchen eating pancakes.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Rusty said...

Pink and Say is one of my favorite Patricia Pollacco books, but all of them are truly wonderful. I agree with Jenny G, those were my favorites growing up, too. CJBlue got it right, as well, with Junie B. Jones and the Magic Tree House series. There are so many great ones out there that it's truly hard to pick. For nature stories, which I'm sure you would like, Jim Arnosky can't be beat - he knows everything about everything about animals and nature.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Bubbles said...

Dare I say it? I love The Pokey Little Puppy ...

8:40 AM  
Blogger Urban Chick said...

do you have books by julia donaldson and axel scheffler in the US? (the latter is the illustrator and american, i am sure)

they have done some wonderful illustrated kids' books, the most famous of which is 'the gruffalo' which is - like many of them - in rhyme

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home