Friday, September 23, 2005

Eagle dreams

It seems that over the past year or so birds have been coming to me in all of their various forms. All different kinds of birds.

Over the summer, I've had a few dreams of a bald eagle.

Earlier in the summer, before we adopted the baby sparrow, I actually had a dream that we were taking care of a baby bird that fell out of it's nest. At one point, the bird fluttered away from me on this porch, and I was trying to find it. I found it at the feet of this bald eagle that was just sitting there on the porch, looking at me. I scooped up the baby bird, afraid that the eagle would hurt it. Then the dream continued. Later when I woke up I thought: "Wow, it didn't even phase me or interest me that this bald eagle was sitting right there on my porch?"

Well after that, I also saw one, down by the Hudson River. I mean a real one, not in a dream. They aren't uncommon, and I see them every so often. Of course it's always cool to see them, but I've never felt a particular connection to them. Maybe my feelings about them are clouded by their symbolism. I haven't been feeling very patriotic for a long time now, (thanks to GWB) and Dave and I still seriously talk of leaving the country.

This eagle appeared in my dreams again last night. This time, it was in a pet store, in a tiny cage, looking miserable. I bought it and took it home, with the intention of freeing it. I just thought it was awful that it was in such a small cage. I really felt for it and knew I had to try to help it. I was really angry that someone would take a wild thing like that and ruin it in such a way. But once I got it home, I didn't know what to do with it. I realized that it wasn't going to be "free", as it had lived too long in captivity. I also didn't want to keep it as a pet, that would defeat the whole point of why I took it from the petstore to begin with! Also, I mentally had promised to help it.

But I also feared opening that small cage. I saw that the eagle had some serious big talons there, and a sharp hooked beak too. It looked a little crazed from being so cooped up. Who would want to open the cage and have it fly out into his/her face in a rush, with all it's pent up anger released?

Maybe I'll see it again tonight.

12 Comments:

Blogger Linda Jones Malonson said...

Kate, an Eagle is a good sign --- spiritual vicotries are associated with the Eagle, and inspiration, strength, and opportunities.

Don't be afraid to allow your power to fly free. You got a special hookup with Nature and Earth --- you have achieved a balance at your age that few are able to master. Don't hold back. Anything you desire to do now will be successful.

No, I can't read mind, well --- with my husband I can, but there are times when I can read signs.

I enjoyed the read, and guess what --- I survived my survival!

8:56 AM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Hi Kate,

I do not know much about dreams and their interpretations, but I too hear that an Egle is a good sign, of prosperity and good fortune. I like the way LP says it is about inspiration and strength as well.

Having wings, Eagles can spread them, and it could mean that you are headed for a new journey, a flight if you will. How exciting is that!

Be well.

1:59 PM  
Blogger I'm not even supposed to be here today said...

Too domesticated for the wild but too wild for a cage? There's a feeling I can relate too!

11:18 AM  
Blogger EarthCitizen #23 said...

Hey Kate, Eagle dreams, very interesting. Being I relate to my 'power animals' to me this would be a very good sign. Amias is very on the mark,,, "Don't be afraid to allow your power to fly free." and who knows why the caged bird sings,, but you? Very symbolic,, maybe about America, it is our national totem animal. ??
You know that in my mind, it marks you as a warrior. Not nessesarily the guns and guts kind, but a warrior non the less. Take the power it offers you and release it to be what it is suppose to be. Soar. And if you must teach it to fly again, so be it. Very auspicious.

11:25 AM  
Blogger celestialmtn said...

According to the dream dictionary, dreams of eagles represent: Raising your level of consciousness, Connecting with the Creator, Needing to view a situation from a higher, broader, more spiritual or more objective perspective, Distancing yourself from a situation, Fearlessness
Freedom and expansion.

I suppose the bottom line is that your eagle dream is a good portend.

1:31 PM  
Blogger PFG said...

Chiming in on the interpretation, I think the other comments are probably better informed dream interpretation-wise than my own. I wanted to add though that if seeing a bald eagle (in real life) calls to mind issues, thoughts, images, etc. of patriotism and its associated elements, then I'd explore that for dream meaning. It's your dream, afterall.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Thanks for all your insights guys! :-)

6:32 PM  
Blogger EarthCitizen #23 said...

I don't know if you saw the part of my blog the other day after you wrote this,, I met a really nice man Sunday doing Kareoke at the gay bar.. guess what,,, He had a tatoo of an eagle.,, nice one, not ugly ,,. I looked at it an laughed at the synchronicity of you and your dreams of late,, he didn't really understand.. but had to tell you...

8:08 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Scott: :-) We're all connected....

1:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings from Down Under, no not Australia, NZ the real downunder! Hi K e I was surfing blogs (as you do) looking for lucid dream information when I came across your site. While Eagle dreams wasn't an exact match I enjoyed reading your posts. Thanks for the read, I'll visit again some time. take care.

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi There K e how you going? I was sufing blogs for information on lucid dream and I came across yours. while Eagle dreams wasn't exactly what I was looking for, It was most interesting. I can see why I found your page when I was looking for lucid dream stuff. Thanks for the read!

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings K e it's rather cold here today, but summer is comming to our part of the world soon. I was looking for the latest most up to date information on innocent dream and I landed on your page. Although Eagle dreams is not an exact match I can see why I ended up here while looking for innocent dream Great stuff thanks for the read.....now where did I put that surf board !

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home