Saturday, August 20, 2005

Tomatoes

Today I must deal with the ridiculous number of tomatoes that ripened while I was on vacation.

Every August there is this explosion of tomatoes and they are SO delicious, but something must be done to preserve them for winter. And canning is a lot of work, it's messy and it's hot.

I'm planning to can some this afternoon, but I'm also trying a new idea. A guy I work with suggested this and it's cool. I cut the tomatoes in half, put them on a greased cookie sheet and bake them in the oven at the lowest temp overnight. Then I take them out and freeze them in plastic bags. In the winter, they'll be great in soups etc. Easy-peasy. :-)

In the meantime I'm eating as many tomato and cheese sandwiches on white with lots of Hellman's mayonnaise, salt and pepper as I can. Because they are really, really good, people! I mean it.

My mouth is watering just thinking about it. And I'm gonna go make one right now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Urban Chick said...

hey! good to have you back!

my mouth is watering at the thought of those tomatoes!

we had the same problem in our holiday house: the tomatoes were ripening before we could eat them! and we were having them for every meal in every which way...

11:56 AM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Yeah!!!

Kate is back from vacation!

From the pictures below, it looks like you had a fantastic time.

My husband grows EVERYTHING, datura, night blooming jasmine, exotic trees, plants, but he cannot grow tomatoes!!

Wish you could throw some my way. (literally.)

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home