Sunday, August 21, 2005

Mowing the lawn

Dave and I mowed the lawn today. Mowing the lawn is a hot, repetitive, mindless activity that smells good and makes me really tired and gives a pleasant feeling of order when it's done.

It also makes me really sweaty. Just call me "Sweaty Betty". I actually like to pretend I'm Bettie Page when I mow the lawn. Why not?

It's sad though, when I mow over the grave of my dear cat friend, George.

Also, there is the avoiding the yellowjackets aspect. Eek!

Afterwards I took a splash in the diminishing creek. It's so shallow this time of year. But still cold. It felt so good to be done and cooled off and look across that neat lawn.

We saw some frogs and toads jump out of the way of the mower, but I was too busy working to take their photos. Sorry!

I love toads. It makes me happy to see a toad. I don't know why.

There's about a million crickets and grasshoppers out in the lawn too. What's up with all the crickets this year? I can't ever remember there being so many at once.

Sorry my summer thoughts are so banal, I used to be an intellectual, I swear!

Now I will make a cup of peppermint tea and lay down to read. Goodnight, blog readers. :-)

2 Comments:

Blogger katiedid said...

"It also makes me really sweaty. Just call me "Sweaty Betty". I actually like to pretend I'm Bettie Page when I mow the lawn. Why not?" This just cracked me up. Why not, indeed.

7:24 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

:-) I am glad to return the favor, you crack me up frequently! :-)

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home