Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Five Years?

Sorry to be a downer today, but sometimes I hear news about global climate change and I start to get freaked out about the end of the world. Does this happen to you? It is an overwhelming feeling of hopelessness and sadness that I try to shut out.

Lately I have a song stuck in my head, it's David Bowie's "5 Years", it seems to be a little reminder of this sad feeling that I try to ignore.

"Pushing thru the market square, so many mothers sighing
News had just come over, we had five years left to cry in
News guy wept and told us, earth was really dying
Cried so much his face was wet, then I knew he was not lying
I heard telephones, opera house, favourite melodies
I saw boys, toys, electric irons and T.V.'s
My brain hurt like a warehouse, it had no room to spare
I had to cram so many things to store everything in there
And all the fat-skinny people, and all the tall-short people
And all the nobody people, and all the somebody people
I never thought I'd need so many people..."


Do you worry about the end of the world? If so, what do you do with that worry?

3 Comments:

Blogger Tania said...

Kate, the latest issue of Scientific American is full of information about the loss of species, climate change, and all kinds of other impending ecological disasters. But it's not all hopeless--people are working on solutions and fighting to keep the planet one we can all live on. Now if only the reigning administration could stop listening to ideologues and start listening to the facts. I'm not surprised that McCain went to see the melting glaciers for himself, but I sure wish our Commander in Chief would go stand in the slush, too. People like him just don't believe what they can't see, and they refuse to see what they don't feel like believing.

7:33 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

"...refuse to see what they don't feel like believing". That's so true. Thanks Hon, I'll check out Scientific American.

7:36 AM  
Blogger Tania said...

I liked the eco-house link you sent me. So much we could all do! For instance, I found out in Sci Am that 5% of the energy consumed in the US goes to appliances that are turned off—they have inefficient standby circuitry that drains a little energy off. Useless waste!

8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home