Sunday, July 31, 2005

Carrots and Kale

Garden is producing lots of food now. Below are some pics.

The carrots are the biggest I've ever grown! I used to always try to grow carrots in Albany, but with the clay soil, it never worked. This soil is looser and they grow well here. But we can't grow squash because of squash borer grubs. Every garden is so different.

Anyway, I let them get a little too big, but I'm proud of these carrots. We had some for dinner and they were so good. The variety is my favorite: Touchon.

The kale came out great too. We've been eating it for weeks, but no matter how much we eat, it seems there is a never ending supply. It's so nutritious. Dave came up with a good recipe for it. He frys it in sesame oil and sprinkles it with sesame seeds. It's easy and quick and really good that way. You have to remove the tough stalks before you cook it. I like to add a splash of apple cider vinegar at the table.

It's so gratifying to plant something from seed, tend it, and then eat it. I don't know why, it just makes me feel so happy to be able to do that. It's so meaningful to me, on a spiritual level. It's like taking in my environment, the land around me. I can't imagine being without a garden again in my life. I hope even as an old, old lady I'll be gardening someday.

Even food from the local farmers market is not as alive as food right from my own garden. It's more than just the nutritional content. It's like, I have a relationship with these plants. It makes a difference, somehow.

This food is alive, it's full of life. I can feel it. In the winter, I become so depressed because the food is so dead. I live in a climate where we either have to preserve the food or import it for many months each year, and it's just not the same. Food from far away seems utterly dead by the time it gets here. We can survive on it, but not thrive. It's lacking something vital.

I will blanche and freeze some of the carrots and kale for the winter. They will seem more alive to me then frozen vegetables from the supermarket, and will help my spirit stay alive through the winter. I feel grateful for that. I hate to waste any of our garden produce. To throw away excess supermarket food is bad enough, but to let any of our garden food go to waste would feel so much more wrong, somehow.

3 Comments:

Blogger dixiedarling said...

Your carrots and kale look yummy. I wish I had such a green thumb but alas it is not. My husband can grow just about anything. Me, I could kill a cactus. Enjoy the bounty of your garden.

5:33 AM  
Blogger Tania said...

Everybody likes baby carrots, but often the bigger, more mature carrots are sweeter and full of more carroty flavor. Delicious!

I love carrots raw, but I also like them braised with a little mustard, a little honey. Ooh, I'm getting hungry...

1:52 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Awesome! Those are prize winning. When my wife and I grow carrots they are so small, tasty but small.

Kale is so good for you. I am really trying to keep up on my dark leafy green consumption. I recently read a plug for vegetarians. It went something like, We eat flesh for protien, where do the animals we eat get their protien? Grass and the like.

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home