Saturday, July 16, 2005

Baby bird

Does anyone know what kind of bird this is? Or have any advice about taking care of baby birds? We found this one had fallen out of it's nest. We borrowed our neighbor's extention ladder to try to put it back in the nest but it wasn't tall enough. I tried to climb up anyway with the baby bird, only to discover that there was a wasp's nest right below it, so I quickly climbed back down as the wasps were swarming me. Luckily I didn't get stung.

Anyway, we are feeding this little guy every 40 minutes with catfood. I also found an empty nest in a mock-orange bush that I have put him in. I think it might be a starling? I'm not sure. I called a bunch of wildlife rehabilitators but they haven't called me back.

Sure is cute.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy cow! I don't have any advice, but how exciting!

Your pictures, above and below, are wonderful.

xo
thalia

10:17 AM  
Blogger Tania said...

Pet stores sell baby bird formula! My kung fu teacher found a little pigeon baby on the sidewalk and got a whole baby-bird rescue kit from the pet store. (Little guy didn't make it, though.)

11:10 AM  
Blogger mireille said...

oh I hope this little one makes it, K. xoxoxo

11:50 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Well, we've been feeding it and keeping it clean and warm. It's still alive, but I just discovered that it "threw up"?

I left msgs for a bunch of animal rehab people but none have called me back. I wanted to go to a pet store today but none of the one's near us were open. (Sunday).

I've searched the internet for info and we're taking care of it as best we can. I hope it's ok. I hope it isn't suffering.

I guess all we can do is try. It may not live but that's the way it goes sometimes.

My mom had a solution for any situation like this, she'd take the animal outside and chop it's head off with a shovel. "Putting it out of it's misery" she'd say. I suppose that's one way to look at it.

Another person might leave it just as he found it, and say "That's nature's way. Don't interfere." And further, it's a non native species that competes with native birds. (I think it's a sparrow). So some might say there's no sense in saving it anyway.

I can't help but want to try to help it, so I will. God hears the sparrow fall, after all. So why not us? :-)

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home