Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Miles and Miles Away but It Feels Like Home

I'm in Washington State right now, at a workshop for my job. I'm typing from a laptop in my room.

Even though the workshop got off to a rocky start I'm having a great time and learning a lot. I love it here, there are 1000 acres of wild land surrounding this college campus.

There are lots of crows/ravens around. I found a crow or raven feather here last night. My creative juices are flowing and I'm feeling very alive and open to possibilities. At the same time it's a calm, centered feeling. It's like a stable energy source that I can just plug into. Maybe it's just the fact of 1000 acres of living ecosystem around me. Ecosystem that is functioning the way it should.

I almost want to move here. I'm meeting a lot of wonderful, very cool people here too. I'm thinking I should ask if they have any job openings for libarians. :-)

Dave and I seriously planned to move to Nova Scotia last year, and while I thought it was a good idea in theory (for political reasons) when we actually went there to visit I didn't feel this connection. I mean, I know I could form a relationship with the land there - with time, but I didn't have that spontaneous connection that I do here. I have felt it in other places though, like the West Coast of Ireland and the Del-water gap area of Penn/NJ/NY. Why do I feel it in some places and not others? Maybe it's just like with people: affinities?

I don't know if this makes any sense. Maybe to you, readers, it seems silly.

Do you have a place that you feel a connection to? Where is it? How does it make you feel?

9 Comments:

Blogger Sand said...

Anytime I go to San Diego I feel a peace there. I don't think I could live there though. :(

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the islands of Maine!

thalia

5:47 AM  
Blogger Meegan said...

Glad you're enjoying it! I grew up in Washington state. It's a great place for people who like the outdoors (as is Oregon, where I went to college). WARNING: Lots of people, particularly Californians, come to the Northwest in the summer months and fall in love with it. Then they move there and have to deal with the nearly-constant drizzle for the rest of the year. The climate is great, though, because it never gets too cold in the winter or too hot in the summer.

8:25 AM  
Blogger Tania said...

Weirdly enough, I felt like that...about LOUISIANA. What the hell? We were driving out of Texas, through the south, going into Florida on a vacation with my family, and as we entered the swamps, on the elevated road through the green water with the mangroves towering above and the blue sky and a white heron floating through, I felt at home like I've never felt at home. I thought I could just set up shack right there. Bizarro. I don't actually WANT to live in Louisiana. But something about it made me feel like I'd come home.

9:35 AM  
Blogger mireille said...

hey, I'm just a few miles away from you at this minute -- in the beautiful emerald city of Seattle -- and I tell ya, THERE IS A CONNECTION! Looking forward to seeing you next week!! xoxo

2:30 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

So happy, Kate that you are enjoying yourself.

I feel connected right here, when I know my children are safe. Having not heard from our son in a couple of days, who is traveling in Turkey is maddening for me.

As for places I feel connected, always NYC, especially in the middle of the city. I LOVE to drive in Manhattan.

3:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It will always be Fairhaven, Washington. Can you go up there while you're in Seattle? It's a charming tiny town attached to the south of Bellingham.

I'm so glad you get to be in the vicinity of most of my whole life.

XXXOOO

~clearing

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My locations have changed over the years. When I was ten, it was New England. When I was 18, it was Ireland. When I was 30, it was London. Now it is France. I'm not very adventurous, but then we can't control these feelings of connection, can we?
Kate, I enjoyed reading this entry and your blog in general. You have a very distinctive, honest, and modest-in-a-wonderful-way voice.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Wow, Laura, Thank you so much. :-)

Thanks to all of you.

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home