Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Miles and Miles Away but It Feels Like Home

I'm in Washington State right now, at a workshop for my job. I'm typing from a laptop in my room.

Even though the workshop got off to a rocky start I'm having a great time and learning a lot. I love it here, there are 1000 acres of wild land surrounding this college campus.

There are lots of crows/ravens around. I found a crow or raven feather here last night. My creative juices are flowing and I'm feeling very alive and open to possibilities. At the same time it's a calm, centered feeling. It's like a stable energy source that I can just plug into. Maybe it's just the fact of 1000 acres of living ecosystem around me. Ecosystem that is functioning the way it should.

I almost want to move here. I'm meeting a lot of wonderful, very cool people here too. I'm thinking I should ask if they have any job openings for libarians. :-)

Dave and I seriously planned to move to Nova Scotia last year, and while I thought it was a good idea in theory (for political reasons) when we actually went there to visit I didn't feel this connection. I mean, I know I could form a relationship with the land there - with time, but I didn't have that spontaneous connection that I do here. I have felt it in other places though, like the West Coast of Ireland and the Del-water gap area of Penn/NJ/NY. Why do I feel it in some places and not others? Maybe it's just like with people: affinities?

I don't know if this makes any sense. Maybe to you, readers, it seems silly.

Do you have a place that you feel a connection to? Where is it? How does it make you feel?

13 Comments:

Blogger Atreau said...

Anytime I go to San Diego I feel a peace there. I don't think I could live there though. :(

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the islands of Maine!

thalia

5:47 AM  
Blogger Meegan said...

Glad you're enjoying it! I grew up in Washington state. It's a great place for people who like the outdoors (as is Oregon, where I went to college). WARNING: Lots of people, particularly Californians, come to the Northwest in the summer months and fall in love with it. Then they move there and have to deal with the nearly-constant drizzle for the rest of the year. The climate is great, though, because it never gets too cold in the winter or too hot in the summer.

8:25 AM  
Blogger LonesomePolecat said...

But have you eaten any avocados
yet,Kate?

8:45 AM  
Blogger Tania said...

Weirdly enough, I felt like that...about LOUISIANA. What the hell? We were driving out of Texas, through the south, going into Florida on a vacation with my family, and as we entered the swamps, on the elevated road through the green water with the mangroves towering above and the blue sky and a white heron floating through, I felt at home like I've never felt at home. I thought I could just set up shack right there. Bizarro. I don't actually WANT to live in Louisiana. But something about it made me feel like I'd come home.

9:35 AM  
Blogger mireille said...

hey, I'm just a few miles away from you at this minute -- in the beautiful emerald city of Seattle -- and I tell ya, THERE IS A CONNECTION! Looking forward to seeing you next week!! xoxo

2:30 PM  
Blogger Jonniker said...

Southern California, south of LA where the mountains open up. Near Ojai and Santa Barbara. I feel so at home there, you cannot imagine.

2:52 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

So happy, Kate that you are enjoying yourself.

I feel connected right here, when I know my children are safe. Having not heard from our son in a couple of days, who is traveling in Turkey is maddening for me.

As for places I feel connected, always NYC, especially in the middle of the city. I LOVE to drive in Manhattan.

3:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It will always be Fairhaven, Washington. Can you go up there while you're in Seattle? It's a charming tiny town attached to the south of Bellingham.

I'm so glad you get to be in the vicinity of most of my whole life.

XXXOOO

~clearing

9:19 AM  
Blogger Raine said...

I love it here in WA state, too. The mountains, the lakes, the Sound, San Juan islands... So breathtaking. The hiking trails are endless here. On a clear day, when I drive in to Seattle, I can see the Cascade mountains in the rearview mirror, the Olympic Mountains in front of me, Mount Rainier to the South, and the beautiful Puget Sound. And if they're snow-capped, it's just perfection.

10:56 PM  
Blogger glamkitty99 said...

Dear Ms. Catbird,

While you are enjoying the cooler Washington State weather, I'm here in humid NYC. It's 95 degrees--it's hot and it's smelly.

I like to sit on my fire escape, watching the heat rise off the street. People walk slower and seem friendlier. Add the element of a cold beer drunk slowly and the heat is comforting and and familiar. Get drunk and everything seems just right.

But all this sun has killed my herb garden despite my valiant attempts at watering. What to do, what to do?

8:41 AM  
Anonymous Laura said...

My locations have changed over the years. When I was ten, it was New England. When I was 18, it was Ireland. When I was 30, it was London. Now it is France. I'm not very adventurous, but then we can't control these feelings of connection, can we?
Kate, I enjoyed reading this entry and your blog in general. You have a very distinctive, honest, and modest-in-a-wonderful-way voice.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Wow, Laura, Thank you so much. :-)

Thanks to all of you.

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home