Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Latest on Danny

Tania asked me in an email to write more about Danny, my son. He's seven, and he's the star of my show, for sure. Everyone asks me about him all the time. My friend Colleen, who reads here but never comments (hint, hint!) also asks me to write about Danny. Here's what I wrote today in my response email to Tania:

I was thinking about your request that I write more about Danny but I have mixed feelings about that. He's himself, and what if later on he's annoyed that I wrote about him on the internet for all to see?

And sometimes I want to blog to be someone other than just Danny's mom, you know? It kind of sucks up all my energy and I want to steal some back for myself too, if that makes any sense.

Also, he isn't always that blog-a-ble. Often, he's just an ordinary kid who wants to talk about the latest videogame he's into or the cartoon he just finished watching. And frankly, my eyes glaze over when he does this so I'm not going to write about it! LOL. I love that little kiddo though, so I try not to let him see how uninterested I am in his blow-by-blow recap of "Jimmy Neutron". Kind of like when Dave talks to me about the stock market. Maybe I'm too self-absorbed? I try not to show it though.

He did do something cool last night. I ask him about school and he always says "it's boring". Which I know is not true because I can tell he likes his teacher and the stuff she does in class, esp lately, they are studying butterflies and moths.

I told him that it might make the teachers feel bad that the kids all pretend to hate school because they think it's not "cool" to like school. I said that I know Mrs C. puts a lot of thought and energy into trying to make the class interesting, and that I know he likes it, so why does he act like he doesn't?

He thought about it for a minute and said reluctantly: "OK, I admit it, I like school". Then he rolled his eyes. I laughed. Then said he wanted to make a card for Mrs. C and he got out his markers and drew a picture of a rock on the outside of the card and it said "YOU ROCK!" , inside he put a picture of a butterfly. He's a good egg. :-)

Oh, one more story: I was hanging out with him and his friends down by the creek over the weekend and they were putting bark and sticks in the water to use as "boats" which they then "raced" down the current. I was pretending to ignore them and read my book under my big sunhat, lying on the chaise lounge but I was really eavesdropping. I heard his friend Andrew say "What do we get if we win the race? What's the prize?" And Danny said indignantly "We're not doing it for the prize! We're doing it for the glory! The glory of knowing you won!"

What a little character.

5 Comments:

Blogger Urban Chick said...

oh, that is so beautiful - his comment about the glory of winning!

but i know what you mean about doing sth in which you are not just danny's mom - it's why i blog really...to retain some sense of identity as sth other than a mother (and it's working!)

(((hugs))) to you and your sweet boy!

2:29 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Thank you! :-) (((Hugs))) back!

2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a treasure your Danny is, so precocious! Unless of course he's not your Danny, and he belongs to nature. His words make me smile. I can tell he's your son.

7:28 AM  
Blogger Sand said...

How lucky Danny is for you to be his Mom and how lucky you are to have Danny as a son! :)

11:02 AM  
Blogger Tania said...

Thanks! :) I already said this in an email, but just so everyone knows I'm not ungrateful, I thought I'd say it here. (And that I totally understand your not being solely the Mom Creature.)

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home