Thursday, June 16, 2005

Drifting From My Topic...

I've been drifting from my topic of nature. I think it's hard to write on this topic because I fear that people will find it boring. I worry that people find not only my writing about nature boring, but that they find nature itself boring, or maybe just alien.

Most of us are living in an artificial human environment all the time, and nature is outside our normal realm. As I sit in my office under fluorescent lights and type words on the screen, I feel my ass getting fatter by the moment. Other people must feel this too? I want to be on nature's side, and try to hear what nature has to say and tell other humans. But then I get caught up in our simulacrum too, and drift....

I want to write my thoughts and feelings about nature and spirituality and ecology and hopefully wake myself up to being more ecologically responsible, but -- just as in everyday life, many other bright shiny objects attract my attention. It's hard to break out of our collective dream. I want to buy things and I enjoy human culture, music, art, film and even silly things like nail polish, perfume, bird feeders and beaded necklaces. Our consumer culture makes it hard to think of anything else. I want to make a space for something else, even if, ironically, it's in cyberspace and the people reading it on computer screens are indoors.

If you want to read some of the things about nature I have written so far, click on "May" under the archives section on the right side of the page. I was more focused then.

I'm going to think about this and write some more later.

7 Comments:

Blogger Sand said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Sand said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Sand said...

Coffee, coffee! I need coffee! I too feel bombarded by the media and never noticed how many food commercials we had until I started dieting!

11:00 AM  
Blogger Urban Chick said...

please don't imagine i would find your musings on mature boring! i see them as your (apologies in advance for this shameless marketing-speak) USP!

(although i am equally happy to be reading about nail polish esp your newly-discovered shade of 'bingo night at the indian reservation'!)

11:32 AM  
Blogger Urban Chick said...

oh flip, of course i meant 'Nature' not 'mature'

doh

11:33 AM  
Blogger Tania said...

You know, I don't think you're looking at this the right way. It is perfectly *natural* for you to want to think of pretty artificial things. Human nature is toward artifice. Look at all the cave paintings! Even when we were just running around the savannah, eating warthogs raw, we were decorating ourselves with facepaint and collecting pretty shells and feathers and horns. :)

11:43 AM  
Blogger Urban Chick said...

tania's right of course

did you know that eyeliner was invited shortly after fire? cavewoman was sweeping up the ashes from the night before's fire(whilst caveman had a lie-in), came across a piece of charcoal and, on a whim, decided to draw lines under her eyes

:)

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home