Sunday, June 12, 2005

Careful What You Wish For!!

I was just walking around the yard this evening, thinking how I hadn't seen any snakes or toads this year yet. It worries me. We normally see them often. Where are they?

I had the camera in hand, and I had hoped to take a picture for my blog. I remembered how I had seen a nursery web spider down by the creek yesterday, but by the time I came back with the camera, it was gone. I wished I had caught a picture of it, I thought the nursery web spider would make a good entry, since they are so big, they can walk on water and even eat small fish, something that suprises many people, including me.

I'm not a fan of spiders, they really give me the creeps, but I respect them. Then I went back in the house and lo and behold, look what was on doorframe?



At first I thought it was a small nursery web spider, but upon closer inspection I think it was really just a really mega common house spider. It was about the size of my lens cap. Nursery web spiders get a lot bigger than that. They have thicker legs. Sometimes they have pretty brown stripes on their backs too. They look like this.

Anyway, whatever it is, it wanted to be famous, so here it is! :-)

Why do spiders make me so nervous? I don't know, but they do. I'm better about them now though. I can even take them outside sometimes. I wouldn't mess with this sucker though. Dave took it down to the creek for me in a paper cup. Thanks Honey!

4 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Oh Good! Thanks Honey, I've been wondering where all the snakes are! :-)

BTW, for those who might not know... lonesomepolecat is my husband, Dave.

6:01 AM  
Blogger Tania said...

Eek! Spiders! When we were in CT this weekend, Will's dad showed us the pumpkins he planted and, in the middle, Jonah's sunflower seedlings, which he sprouted in his kindergarten class. He pointed out that there were lots and lots of spiders surrounding the area with the new plants, which he's hoping will keep the bugs at bay and give the little green things a chance to grow. We all knew that was a good thing, and yet as soon as he said, "Lots and lots of spiders," we all shivered and backed away from the plot. Spiders! Eek! Yes, they are cool, and yes, they are important, but golly, they could be poisonous, and they're kind of creepy, with their predatory, bloodsucking ways. Admire and respect. (Admire=don't step on them, respect=don't let them bite you.)

12:46 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

I love Jonah! I want to hear more about him. I wish he could meet Danny. :-)

12:51 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Also, it's interesting how certain plants seem to attract a lot of spiders. Like, the valerian plant in our garden is always *covered* with these little crab-like spiders. Esp the flowers.

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home