Thursday, May 19, 2005

Finding My Voice Here...

I was thinking about the pressure I feel sometimes to be witty, not only in this blog, but in real life too. I don't think my blog will be very witty. I hope that doesn't mean no one will read it! I really do enjoy the sometimes-snarky-sometimes-self-depreciating humor in many blogs, but I think that tone is not for me.

I think my blog will be more peaceful, focused mainly on nature in my backyard and random little observations that may be boring to the world... but that's really who I am.

It seems there is a lot of pressure to be entertaining all the time, in real life, as in blogs. Like we are all TV shows, wishing we had a laugh track to follow all of our little jokes. I may have a witty remark here and there, but not all the time.

William Blake said so many things that mean a lot to me, and this is one:

Fun I love, but too much fun is of all things the most loathsome. Mirth is better than fun, and happiness is better than mirth.



5 Comments:

Blogger Tania said...

Ugh, there's nothing more draining on the spirit than forcing yourself to be witty and clever when it's the last thing you want to do. You end up feeling so fake and exhausted, for what? I think we do it for two reasons: 1) we think it's what other people like, and 2) we get so used to being clever and witty that we fall out of the habit of expressing ourselves any other way.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Thank you T. You're one of those people who's so good at it, and it comes naturally to you. I feel very envious, but it's not my way. I hope my little stories here will be restful and enjoyable to those who visit.

Thanks for being one who visits! :-)

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a very beautiful post! I find your blog very soothing.

thalia

2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the peacefulness of your blog. So soothing and refreshing!

8:18 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Thank you Thalia and RSG! :-)

10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home